Friday, April 13, 2007

CinemaScope

My sincere apologies for the quality of the projected image on Friday night. It was the first CinemaScope (actually TohoScope) film that I have ever screened. After talking to the projectionist, I learned that the problem could have been solved if we had switched lenses and recalibrated the screen. Live and learn.

For those who are curious, here is an explanation of how the wide-screen process works.

Alas, it's too late for When a Woman Ascends the Stairs, but now that we know what to expect, we'll be ready for the rest of the films. Rest assured, we won't make the same mistake twice.

Perhaps, though, it was an appropriate viewing experience for a film about unfulfilled expectations and bitter frustrations.

3 Comments:

Blogger chumly said...

Don't feel bad, I keep forgetting does my camera have AA or AAA batteries?

April 13, 2007 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger rupan777 said...

That's OK; I'd forgotten that it was a 'scope fil and assumed that AR was chosen to preserve the subtitles at the expense of the picture itself. Still, I was glad to see the film again (it's been over 20 years since the last time!) and it's still one of the best depictions of mizu shobai life, along with "Snow Country". See everyone in a couple of weeks.

April 14, 2007 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger adrienne said...

I love the idea of the viewing experience complimenting the content of the film! I wonder if you can figure out ways to create a "happening" for future screenings too. :)

The Stanford/South Bay community is so fortunate to have another great Japanese film series! I really wish I could be there to see these great films.

April 14, 2007 at 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home